Sunday, October 10, 2010

Using Technology in a meaningful way

I think I am finally getting the whole integrating technology idea. Partly due to what I am learning through PLP (Powerful Learning Practices) and partly as I continue to teach and learn. Because I have allowed myself time to learn and explore different web 2.0 tools, now when I am teaching a lesson, unit, novel, etc., the technology tools I am familiar with are meshed in my mind with all of the other tools that I use to teach (ex. manipulatives, graphic organizers, etc.). When I am figuring out how to plan or enhance a lesson, if it is a technology tool that will work best (for example, Google Earth for Walk Two Moons), then that is what I will use. I no longer feel like I am just choosing technology and figuring out a way to use it. I feel like I am now using technology in a way that is not separated with what I teach, but a part of what I teach.
As I continued to teach the Novel, Walk Two Moons, each student was assigned a Native American Tribe to study. I wanted to figure out a way that all of the students could share what they presented but I knew that it would take a lot of time for each of the 18 students to get up and present. Instead, I thought about using a voice thread and I talked to my technology coordinator about it and she thought it was a great idea. I am really excited to experience this with my students.
I also feel privileged to work in a school where all of my students have laptop computers and my technology coordinator (thanks, Renee!) is so supportive and available to help me as I try new ideas in the classroom. The Google Earth has been going better than I ever expected and it is amazing to see how engaged the students are and how much effort and motivation they are putting into it!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great epiphany. It's wonderful to hear you feeling so positive and inspired. I am inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is my favorite line: "I no longer feel like I am just choosing technology and figuring out a way to use it. I feel like I am now using technology in a way that is not separated with what I teach, but a part of what I teach." You get the point of technology - it's not the tool, it's the learning. Like Beth, you inspire me too!

    ReplyDelete